Chelsea plot first transfer under Xabi Alonso for player who has already said ‘yes’ to move

0
1779191893_0_Xabi-Alonso.jpg


Xabi Alonso’s first potential transfer at Chelsea looks to have been identified as a former target that was wanted by Enzo Maresca

Chelsea have renewed their interest in AC Milan goalkeeper Mike Maignan in what could be the first transfer completed under Xabi Alonso. The Spaniard, who has been out of work since being sacked by Real Madrid in January, was confirmed as the club’s new permanent head coach last week.

The Blues’ Alonso announcement stated he would be officially starting his role on Wednesday, July 1 but it is likely he will begin working towards targets before then. Navigating the summer transfer window is his first objective with signings in several positions accepted.

A new goalkeeper coming in is a serious possibility with Maignan, who still has admirers behind-the-scenes at Chelsea, back on radar after being strongly linked to a Stamford Bridge switch last summer.

According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Chelsea have reignited their interest in the France international as they are keen to make an upgrade on Robert Sanchez.

FOLLOW OUR CHELSEA FB PAGE! Latest Blues news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page

Their report states the 30-year-old has already previously said “yes” to joining but the move fell through due to a difference in valuation.

If Chelsea do resume negotiations, their advantage will be no longer with Maignan signing a new contract at San Siro which has extended his stay until 2031.

However, it has not been the best campaign for Milan with a five-way battle for the final two Champions League qualification places in Serie A set to take place on the last day of the season.

Chelsea are in a similar position regarding European football with six teams below eight-placed Brentford fighting for the final spot which would be passage into the Conference League.

The west Londoners’ potential advantage is that they still have two games to play with one of those against Tottenham on Tuesday evening. A trip to Sunderland, who are also firmly in the race, is their last game of the season.

Alonso’s Chelsea could certainly be a forced to be reckoned with next season if they finish ninth or lower with most of their focus then on the Premier League.

Decisions for his first season in charge have already been made with seven members of his backroom staff confirmed with interim head coach Calum McFarlane among those.

A few other staff members are set to remain employed with Ben Roberts, Chelsea’s goalkeeping coach, continuing in his role and set-piece coach Bernardo Cueva also staying.

Sebastian Parrilla, Alonso’s long-time assistant coach, will move to west London with the Spaniard. Fellow assistants Alberto Encinas and Benat Labaien will also join Alonso at Chelsea with fitness coach Ismael Camenforte Lopez also part of his team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *